DBKC.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Changing jobs - the best way to get a pay raise?

Reply to topic    DBKC.org Forum Index » Hustle View previous topic
View next topic
Changing jobs - the best way to get a pay raise?
kcats
i got dubu.

Post Changing jobs - the best way to get a pay raise? Reply with quote
Say every 2-3 years. If you got hired as entry level and reaching mid level status for your industry, I think management will still try and pay you entry level salaries if they can.

Thoughts?
Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:18 pm View user's profile Send private message
CAliMichinsaram
Super Moderator

Post Reply with quote
... probably ... good luck trying to get a pay raise with so many companies laying people off ... i know lots of people who have had their salaries reduced this year but they're still thankful that they have jobs ...

... i talked to someone today who told me that the job she's had for 8 yrs ... they slashed her salary by 30% ...

quit flapping your lips and bumping your gums! your just a fat piece of donkey poo that sits at his computer and posts under 20 id's on dubu, lame!
Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
Eddie
Super Moderator

Post Reply with quote
yeah, agree with cali. this is an employer's market. unless you're extremely valuable and absolutely irreplaceable to the company, you have no leverage at all in this economy to ask for a raise.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:40 pm View user's profile Send private message
morpheus
Super Moderator

Post Reply with quote
Eddie wrote:
yeah, agree with cali. this is an employer's market. unless you're extremely valuable and absolutely irreplaceable to the company, you have no leverage at all in this economy to ask for a raise.

you mean expect a raise. you don't need any leverage at all to ask for a raise.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:16 pm View user's profile Send private message
El Bastardo
got dubu?

Post Reply with quote
Times are tough and you should ride your job out for as long as you can. Bide your time and the company will either recognize your commitment or you'll find a decent opportunity elsewhere
Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:53 am View user's profile Send private message
betterhalf
i got dubukimchi!

Post Reply with quote
nobodys entitled to a raise or promotion just by the amount of time you've been there.
it's not a matter of how much time you put in, its a matter of how much value is in your contribution.

seems people these days are so afraid that people are getting laid off here and there but at the end of the day, a company is looking for a solution to make money. Show them your value and how you can 1. save them money, 2. make them money (very general statement), and you can obtain plenty of jobs.

people these days tend to think they're entitled to a job or promotion just because they've "paid their dues" by attending some state university. I've been in a position of interviewee and interviewer and it's often baffling to talk to new college grads who seem to think their 4 years in college entitles them to a comfy salary or a raise. What they fail to recognize is that they are just one amongst millions who offer nothing unique in achievement or goal but tout their horns about going to college.

Meet the minimums and you risk getting your salary slashed or getting fired or laid off. Work hard and show them value and there's plenty of opportunities for raises and new job positions.

with that said, its easier to get a higher salary by relocating to a different company. A company you've been with will be much more reluctant to promote you or give you a raise, so its better to find a new job and leverage your current salary to get a higher salary at a new company.
Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:25 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    DBKC.org Forum Index » Hustle All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: