DBKC.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Do the Classics Have a Future?

Reply to topic    DBKC.org Forum Index » News & Current Events View previous topic
View next topic
Do the Classics Have a Future?
HY
i got dubu.

Post Do the Classics Have a Future? Reply with quote
Applies not merely to classics alone.

--

Quote:
But first the rhetoric of decline, and let me read you another piece of gloom:

On many sides we hear confident assertions…that the work of Greek and Latin is done—that their day is past. If the extinction of these languages as potent instruments of education is a sacrifice inexorably demanded by the advancement of civilisation, regrets are idle, and we must bow to necessity. But we know from history that not the least of the causes of the fall of great supremacies has been the supine-ness and short-sightedness of their defenders. It is therefore the duty of those who believe…that Greek and Latin may continue to confer in the future, as they have done in the past, priceless benefits upon all higher human education, to inquire whether these causes exist, and how they may be at once removed. For if these studies fall, they fall like Lucifer. We can assuredly hope for no second Renaissance.

Now, as you will have guessed from the rhetorical style, that was not written yesterday (although you could have heard much the same points made yesterday). It is, in fact, by the Cambridge Latinist J.P. Postgate, lamenting the decline of Latin and Greek in 1902—a famous lament, published in an influential London magazine (The Fortnightly Review) and powerful enough to lead directly, over one hundred years ago, to the establishment in the UK of the Classical Association, whose aim was to bring like-minded parties together explicitly to save the classics.

The point is that you can find such lamentations or anxieties almost anywhere you look in the history of the classical tradition. As is well known, Thomas Jefferson, in 1782, justified the prominence of the classics in his own educational curriculum partly because of what was happening in Europe: “The learning Greek and Latin, I am told, is going into disuse in Europe. I know not what their manners and occupations may call for: but it would be very ill-judged in us to follow their example in this instance.”

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2012/jan/12/do-classics-have-future/

Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    DBKC.org Forum Index » News & Current Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: