DBKC.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
how much is/was your grad school tuition?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    DBKC.org Forum Index » College Life View previous topic
View next topic
how much is/was your grad school tuition?
Whim
Super Moderator

Post how much is/was your grad school tuition? Reply with quote
how much did/do you pay for tuition per school year? how did/do you pay for it?

Just looking at the numbers puts a chill down my spine. I'm getting a fellowship from one school but the tuition is already so expensive that the fellowship wont really help that much. The out of state schools I have to pay full tuition but turns out to be not as expensive...but the out of state living costs will get me for sure.

I applied to a few grad schools, and I got into all of them except for one which I'm still waiting for. I didn't apply to any "back-up" schools cuz that's a waste of money knowing that I'll never go there.

The problem with only having applied to legit schools is that I can't decide which to go to.. it's pretty much boiling down to who is giving me the better numbers.
Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:22 am View user's profile Send private message
theclassics
i got kimchi.

Post Reply with quote
hi,

first of all congratulations on all your acceptances !

ppl I know in grad school (phd candidates) typically TA for an undergrad class, fellowships, and other pt research gigs....also, loans of course....some of my friends get pretty generous stipends too.....getting a phd typically isnt that financially rewarding, but I really do commend and respect them cause it is such a huge accomplishment to be a scholar in ur field...Good luck w everything : )

may I ask, what discipline u'r going for?
Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:40 pm View user's profile Send private message
me.neither
i got dubukimchi!

Post Reply with quote
I am in this process as well...
my program is ranging from 32 - 38 a year. I am pretty much just going to have to take out loans for the full amount. Luckily I have very little remaining debt from undergrad, so i feel like i can take out a bit more to finance the grad stuff.

what options have you explored yet? I am just starting to do all the financing stuff. I was pretty late in my application stuff.
Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
Whim
Super Moderator

Post Reply with quote
I'm making appnts with the student financing dept and basically I'm going to make them give me a ballpark range of what I'll need to pay. I'm being pretty money conscious because I didn't think twice about the $$$ before undergrad but I've learned to be a little smarter and wiser this time around.

according to my own calculations it looks like the schools are rounding even leaving my decision back at square one.
Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:52 pm View user's profile Send private message
Whim
Super Moderator

Post Reply with quote
^
^ I'll probably end up taking out loans, but I'm also going to look around for scholarship opportunities so far as they are still available.

I'm pretty pissed but I've already applied to one particular ivy school that is NOTORIOUS for their late admission notification. all other schools typically notify you this time around and expect a commitment by mid-April... around the same time I'll know whether or not I get into the later school. in the event that I'm accepted into the later school, I'll have to either choose the one that I already committed to or fuck the deposit and go to the later school. It happened to my good friend and I'm pretty sure that shit is gonna happen to me. I may just reject that school to spite their dumbass...
Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
Whim
Super Moderator

Post Reply with quote
so....nobody goes to grad school around here or what?

freaking balls I can't decide guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg..
Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
me.neither
i got dubukimchi!

Post Reply with quote
i have no idea what I want to do either...

one of these schools want me to tell them by April 6th...

that is not gonna happen...
Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
isis
Dubulicious

Post Reply with quote
the first year tuition is roughly $41,000, second year is roughly $18,000, and my final year will be about $17,000. BUT i am taking full loans out each year, so roughly i will borrow about ~$150,000, but probably much less because i will be working FT that last year. ... Crap

those numbers totally make me weep.... but im going into a field that i LOVE where i will most definitely find a job and i most definitely can pay it off... eventually... or at least try to work for a company that will forgive the loans for me after about ten years. ... hopefully.

so... unless you know you can pay off the money/find a job right away, dont invest in a program that is merely expensive. UNLESS there is a program that is PERFECT for you.

i think my program is PERFECT for me, so... the money is... its ok.

uhm... i am not sure if i have answered your questions....
Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:56 am View user's profile Send private message
Whim
Super Moderator

Post Reply with quote
^ yes, this was helpful! I applied knowing this is absolutely what I want to do.

I've got 4 more days to decide....and I can't! I don't know what to do! I want to stay on the best coast but I got into two of NY's best universities. I don't know...........I'm almost entering freak out mode.

I think I screwed myself.
Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
isis
Dubulicious

Post Reply with quote
if you want to stay on the west coast, then... why even consider the east coast schools?

just because theyre good schools may not mean that theyre the best program for you.

consider where you will be happiest - and this isnt merely a matter of the program itself but local/access to friends/family.

ex - i didnt apply to loma linda uni because i thought, dang, even if i got in, would i go? probably not. so i didnt waste my money applying. nevermind that its a pretty awesome school with sweet program and a school hospital.

dont worry about it too much sugar lips! you can always transfer if you dont like the program once you get there. nothing is forever. Smile plus, you ahve to learn to be flexible, no single program will be perfect, its just a matter of what has the most pros that are the most important to you?
Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:32 pm View user's profile Send private message
Whim
Super Moderator

Post Reply with quote
isis wrote:
if you want to stay on the west coast, then... why even consider the east coast schools??

because there's only one or two universities that offer my program in this state and I picked the best one... believe me this would've been way easier if I had more pickings and there was no way I was gonna apply to just ONE school.

well, I'm pretty much decided that I'll stay in la... plus, the university just announced that they'll be giving me more money!

who knows what the ny route would've taken me and people will think I'm psycho for passing up the universities I got into but I'm happy and excited about my program and to eventually work in la. I like ny but I would never want to live there... just isn't my city. if it were a couple years ago, I might've taken the leap and packed my bags but I've lived in different/foreign cities and it's great for a little bit until you start really missing your family and friends. as I've grown older my heart has grown fonder for the connections I've already established... I sound like my grandparents and I love it hahaha
Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
isis
Dubulicious

Post Reply with quote
no i totally understand, your reasoning is one of the reasons im going to the grad school im going to.

CONGRATS WHIMSY!!! im soooooooooooo happy/proud/excited for you!!!! now turn in your statement of intent!!!!! <33333333333333

Kiss
Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:25 pm View user's profile Send private message
Sassy
i got dubukimchi!

Post Reply with quote
broke for life from student loans.
thinking about it stresses me out..
Thu May 01, 2014 6:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
kyuhyun
Super Moderator

Post Reply with quote
$40k/year for tuition
Thu May 01, 2014 7:23 pm View user's profile Send private message
sementherapy
Super Moderator

Post Reply with quote
the key is to not think about it... hehehe
Fri May 02, 2014 8:41 am View user's profile Send private message
morpheus
Super Moderator

Post Reply with quote

Fri May 02, 2014 9:42 am View user's profile Send private message
Sassy
i got dubukimchi!

Post Reply with quote
yeah im in deferment cause im still a student but started a payment plan the other day..
i felt like i just had to do something..
i was so close to paying off all my undergrad loans!! now this.. sigh*
Fri May 02, 2014 11:13 am View user's profile Send private message
lilgx1
i <3 dubukimchi!

Post Reply with quote
oh lawd. considering going back to school Cry
Fri May 02, 2014 12:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
kyuhyun
Super Moderator

Post Reply with quote
thankfully, i don't have loans~
but fiance will have like $200k when he's done J Suburban
Fri May 02, 2014 12:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
Bacchanalian

Post Reply with quote
my friend that just graduated as an orthodontist has about 500k in loans
Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:18 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    DBKC.org Forum Index » College Life All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: