RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Grad school?

Reply to topic    DBKC.org Forum Index » College Life View previous topic
View next topic
Grad school?
Chopper Dave
i got dubukimchi!

Post Grad school? Reply with quote
right after finishing undergrad studies?

or after working for a couple of years?
Fri May 23, 2008 7:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
sementherapy
Super Moderator

Post Reply with quote
right after...

i waited/worked a couple of years, and i wish i could have just been well on the way to my career earlier...

Fri May 23, 2008 7:06 pm View user's profile Send private message
Chopper Dave
i got dubukimchi!

Post Reply with quote
word?

did you find a new job pretty quickly after grad school?

Quote:
i play ping-pong like forrest-fucking-gump!
Fri May 23, 2008 7:11 pm View user's profile Send private message
hyo

Post Reply with quote
.f
Mon May 26, 2008 9:10 pm
1mysteriousgirl
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
depends on what you want to go to grad school for.

for the most part, i think it's better to go to grad school right after undergrad because after you work for a while and have income, it's hard to go back to the student life with no income.

and also what t r o y said about being well on your career earlier in your life...

for an mba though, if you want to get into a good school, the average work experience is 6 years. although work experience isn't required, you are competing against applicants who have on average 6 years work experience under their belt.
Mon May 26, 2008 9:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
kimchikiller
i got dubukimchi!

Post Reply with quote
i plan on doing a joint mba and law school...
so i'm definitely gonna work before so i can save up some money

but if it's just grad school... i would just go right after undergrad while it's still in your mind
Tue May 27, 2008 2:54 am View user's profile Send private message
Chopper Dave
i got dubukimchi!

Post Reply with quote
1mysteriousgirl wrote:
depends on what you want to go to grad school for.

for the most part, i think it's better to go to grad school right after undergrad because after you work for a while and have income, it's hard to go back to the student life with no income.

and also what t r o y said about being well on your career earlier in your life...

for an mba though, if you want to get into a good school, the average work experience is 6 years. although work experience isn't required, you are competing against applicants who have on average 6 years work experience under their belt.

that's the problem i'm havin right now. i'm not super poor or anything, but i'm not makin anywhere near what i used to. goin to school full-time and workin a shitty part time job sucks.

if i do end up goin to grad school i was thinkin i'd do it after workin for awhile. try to get the whoever i'm workin for to pick up some of the tab.
Tue May 27, 2008 6:59 am View user's profile Send private message
Whim
Super Moderator

Post Reply with quote
all the adult professionals I've spoken to have suggested that you wait couple years for grad school.

I'm going to take that advice.
Tue May 27, 2008 12:05 pm View user's profile Send private message
Chopper Dave
i got dubukimchi!

Post Reply with quote
going to grad school next year is starting to look like a real possibility now.

anyone have any tips on takin/preppin for the GRE? prep books i should buy? classes i should take?

at this point. any advice on the GRE and grad school in general would be awesome.

Quote:
i play ping-pong like forrest-fucking-gump!
Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:58 am View user's profile Send private message
kiCKer
Nickname Provider for the Dubu Ladies

Post Reply with quote
damn good luck...i don't think i could handle another few years of school...though if things go right with my career, i just might get my MBA. my co-worker is workin' full-time and is about to complete hers in Human Resources and Management this May.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:11 am View user's profile Send private message
michinsarang
i got dubu.

Post Reply with quote
I'm going to go straight out of undergrad. I guess it depends on your major, but in R&D type areas (science & some business I'm guessing) it seems like you can usually get through even with no starting job just with grants, work study, etc. without having to resort generally to shitty part time side jobs. Of course this depends on all sorts of things, so you have to see what kind of prospects you have (like scholarships/grants, and then what you'd have to fill with your own resources).
Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:11 pm View user's profile Send private message
mousemurderer
i got dubu.

Post Reply with quote
Chopper Dave wrote:
going to grad school next year is starting to look like a real possibility now.

anyone have any tips on takin/preppin for the GRE? prep books i should buy? classes i should take?

at this point. any advice on the GRE and grad school in general would be awesome.

people stress about the gre but it shouldn't be a big burden. just study the vocab daily and you'll do fine. try memorizing that word list on barron's. no need for classes. and you're asian so math should be natural to you. the essays just need to be logical- just read some good and bad examples and you'll get the picture.

as for grad school tips it REALLY depends on what program. but generally get as much experience in that field. that's why people suggest taking a year or two off after undergrad. i personally jumped straight in and there are pros and cons to it as already mentioned. if i had the opportunity again i would've waited and work in a lab as a tech for 2 years.

and not to crush your hopes or anything, but make sure you have real passion for what you're pursuing. the drop out rate for grad school is pretty high and my entering class has been no exception.

as for funding, the sciences give a nice stipend whereas the humanities less so. but relative to how much you work, it's not much. but in this economy, it sure is safe income.

btw i'm assuming you're talking about grad school as opposed to professional schools since you're taking the gre. they are totally different so i hope my advice is useful................
Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:51 pm View user's profile Send private message
Rose of Sharon

Post Reply with quote
thank you for making this thread and to all those who responded Smile

Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:46 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
kiss_jin

Post Reply with quote
I was thinking of taking some time off and working before going to grad school... but, I'm beginning to think twice about that. Granted, I will probably be doing both.... but, yeah.

I fear rejectionnnn..

Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
blah
i got dubukimchi!

Post Reply with quote
Just sell drugs while in grad school. Great way to supplement your income

Thu May 13, 2010 6:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
Whim
Super Moderator

Post Reply with quote
its so crazy reading your own documentation from 2 years ago...

I still stand behind the advice given to me. after 3 years, I can truly say that I'm ready for graduate school. It took me a while to get my feet wet in different career opportunities, travel, meet new people but after all that's been said and done I can now move forward into the next stage of my life. I actually would've preferred to avoid graduate school tuition, not actual graduate school, but my job demands more education. I'm pretty much 90% done with apps, and will most likely get accepted to all my schools so off I go fall 2011! good luck to everyone! I wish you all the best in life's endeavors.
Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:32 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    DBKC.org Forum Index » College Life All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: