Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    DBKC.org Forum Index » 21+ View previous topic
View next topic
Ask tiyo
black jesus
dubukimchi elitist

Post Reply with quote
Dear Tiyo.

I'm thining about going into law. Only cause I like to argue and I want to be rich. How good do your stats need to be to have a good chance at getting into a good law school and being a baller lawyer.

How hard is the practice of law itself? How much of it is common sense arguing and how much is sorting through mounds of legal jargon?

-eric cartman
Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
poon hound
i got dubukimchi!

Post Reply with quote
Dear Tiyo,

Where are some good places/clubs/bars to pick up korean chicks in seoul?

And where are the good prostie places?

Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:58 pm View user's profile Send private message
Princess™
i got kimchi.

Post Reply with quote

Last edited by Princess™ on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
Jae
i got dubukimchi!

Post Reply with quote
black jesus wrote:
Dear Tiyo.

I'm thining about going into law. Only cause I like to argue and I want to be rich. How good do your stats need to be to have a good chance at getting into a good law school and being a baller lawyer.

How hard is the practice of law itself? How much of it is common sense arguing and how much is sorting through mounds of legal jargon?

you can't use the words "fag" ,"retard", and "dumbass" when presenting your case

Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:01 pm View user's profile Send private message
Eddie
Super Moderator

Post Reply with quote
black jesus wrote:
Dear Tiyo.

I can answer the first part of your post about getting into law school, since I'm in that process myself. Shoot me a PM if you want, BJ.

Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:10 pm View user's profile Send private message
tiyo

Post Reply with quote
Eddie wrote:
What five pieces of advice would you give about law school?

Eddie,

Thanks for the excellent question. I would advise:

(1) Take an exam-writing workshop. I'd never before taken a test-prep course until law school, but I think one of these is well worth it. This is because in law school, your final grade for a course is determined entirely by your performance on one, and at most two, exams. There's no homework, or reports, or attendance credit; a semester's worth of work comes down to the three or four hours that you have to write your final exam. Accordingly, I went to a two day workshop on how to write law exams, and I felt it served me well.

(2) Focus on your first-year. The first year of law school is disproprotionately more important than the last two years. This is because you typically interview for a summer internship during the fall of your second year, and employers have only your first year grades to look at. And most of the time, you end up getting a permanent offer at the place you interned. So think of it as one year of your life, work hard, and then if you want, you can take the rest of law school relatively easy.

(3) Take the electives that you want to take. Don't stress too much about taking all the bar exam courses. You'll learn those in BarBri in the two months while you prepare for the bar. Take the classes that interest you the most. The exceptions to the above would probably be Evidence, which I think is essential.

(4) Take good notes during lectures. If you take great notes in class, you'll have to study a lot less. Make sure you never leave the lecture hall while something is unclear in your mind. If you're not sure about something, ask the professor immediately after class so you don't have to waste time later trying to figure it out.

(5) The only supplements I would recommend are the excellent "Examples and Explanations" for each subject. I generally would advise you to avoid supplements and hornbooks, as it's better to just go based on your class notes, since the professor is going to test you on the law that was taught in class. The E&E series, however, is an excellent and concise way to get a more clear and nuanced understanding of a particular subject matter.

If you have any other questions at any time, feel free to post again or PM me. Good luck, man.
Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:29 am View user's profile Send private message
tiyo

Post Reply with quote
morpheus wrote:
hey tiyo...

is the death star fully armed and operational, or is it safe to launch a surprise attack on it?

Morpheus,

You know, I've a confession to make: I've never watched any of the original Star Wars movies from beginning to end. So I'm really not qualified to answer this question. Judging from the Rebels' actions in ep. IV, I'd venture to say that a surprise attack would be successful...
Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:32 am View user's profile Send private message
kiCKer
Nickname Provider for the Dubu Ladies

Post Reply with quote
Dear Tiyo,

WTH happened with Dallas man? *shakes head*

Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:33 am View user's profile Send private message
Jae
i got dubukimchi!

Post Reply with quote
Dear Tiyo,

if I meet a girl and she asks me what i do for a living, and i reply "i'm a lawyer", how likely is it im going to get laid?

Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:34 am View user's profile Send private message
tiyo

Post Reply with quote
kiCKer wrote:
Dear Tiyo,

WTH happened with Dallas man? *shakes head*

Kicker,

Where do I start? Well, first of all, I think La'Ron McClain and Willis McGahee are still running (all the way back to Baltimore).

Total lack of offensive identity, no leadership on and off the field, and complete and utter lack of discipline.

Wade Phillips is simply not a leader of men. He knows his X's and O's, but he doesn't inspire any kind of confidence. And this team's lack of discipline is a direct result of his laissez faire attitude. This is the most talented team in the league, just as talented in fact, as any of the 3 Super Bowl teams in the 90's. There's no excuse for leading the league in penalties. No excuse at all.

Jason Garrett's play-calling is uninspired and stale. He can't adapt to the quicker, aggressive defenses like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and New York. His protection schemes are horrible.

Where's the leader on this team? Bradie James seems to be a vocal leader, but you have to walk the walk too. I think DeMarcus Ware has to step up and be a Ray Lewis-like figure for this team.

Otherwise, this team is toast. Don't even get me started on our starting QB...
Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:45 am View user's profile Send private message
kiCKer
Nickname Provider for the Dubu Ladies

Post Reply with quote
true that...

basically you guys and the chargers are the most talented teams to not live up to their potential this year...

Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:49 am View user's profile Send private message
Eddie
Super Moderator

Post Reply with quote
Hey, thanks tiyo. I really appreciate it a lot. I'm applying to Berkeley Law btw :D

Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
Snuffleupagus
i <3 dubukimchi!

Post Reply with quote
Dear Tiyo,

Do you think that if God was forced to choose an alternate instead of Jesus Christ as his son to display to the world, that he would've chosen DeMarcus Ware to show the same similarities of himself?
Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:06 pm View user's profile Send private message
Jae
i got dubukimchi!

Post Reply with quote
dear tiyo,

do you think the usual suspects was kevin spacey's best movie, why or why not?

if oj simpson wasn't black, would he have gotten away with murder?

Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
tiyo

Post Reply with quote
Princess™ wrote:
Dear tiyo,

Ive been outta school for months now and have yet to find a job(due to the f*cked up economy). Should I go to Japan for a year and enjoy life (also hoping that the economy will be better after a year) or should I go to grad school and continue education?

Princess,

You should absolutely go to Japan for a year and enjoy life. I would highly recommend taking a year off from school to anyone who can afford it. Most people your age have been going to school continuously since kindergarten. I think it's a good idea to step off the treadmill for a bit and live in the real world for a bit before continuing with you education.

So my advice to you, and to anyone else similarly situated, would be to take at least some time off before you graduate undergrad, and definitely before you start graduate school.
Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
tiyo

Post Reply with quote
Princess™ wrote:
Dear tiyo,

When I have kids, should I teach them korean? What if they're hapas?

Princess,

Yes, I believe this is critical. You should definitely teach your kids Korean. For one, now that Korea has the twelvth largest economy in the world, it is emerging as a nascent global power. Accordingly, Korean is going to be a useful, if not essential, language to know as a young KA professional.

Second, I think it's important as an ethnic Korean (even if we are Korean-American) to preserve the language even here in the states. I had a professor in law school who was very famous within legal circles and well respected by students and peers alike. But he didn't speak a word of Korean. And whether it's fair or not, I have to admit, I thought less of him for that...

In fact, I'm thinking of sending my children to international school in Korea so that they can speak both English and Korean fluently. Sure, they'll be the biggest nahl la ri's in Seoul, but at least they'll speak Korean - that's how important I think it is.
Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
Princess™
i got kimchi.

Post Reply with quote

Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:23 pm View user's profile Send private message
CAliMichinsaram
Super Moderator

Post Reply with quote
... tiyo, how can i get over my trypophobia? ...

quit flapping your lips and bumping your gums! your just a fat piece of donkey poo that sits at his computer and posts under 20 id's on dubu, lame!
Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:56 am View user's profile Send private message
tiyo

Post Reply with quote
^ Great question, Cali. If I knew the answer to that, I'd try to cure myself of it. It's really a scary thing living in fear.

For instance, the other morning, I ordered an omelette in the morning at my work cafeteria. For some reason, either the way it was folded or prepared, it had these tiny little perforations all over it; it completely grossed me out. I had to throw it out completely without touching it.
Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:05 pm View user's profile Send private message
Side Pocket Kid
Super Moderator

Post Reply with quote
dear tiyo,

what are the chances of SD going further into the playoffs?

Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:13 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Reply to topic    DBKC.org Forum Index » 21+ All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: